Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today is the day I finally was able to pick a name for my blog, and subsequently START my blog: Fight or Flight. The biological response of animals to acute stress, boxing vs. birding, My Life.
I don't know exactly what will happen here... usual mix of pictures, writing, ranting, and so on. With the comforting blanket of serene anonymity.

I was inspired to finally do this due to the following immediate factors:

1. Torn about quitting a large project I've been working on
2. Fearing my girlfriend's disappointment in me
3. Many, many capsules of valerian/skullcap/hops washed down with wine/whiskey
4. Browsing fruitlessly for mysterious, hidden beach houses under the Portland Craigslist "Real Estate For Sale" heading

So, addressing #4, I must create my own serene place here on the webs, simultaneously hoping that: (a) someone takes interest and reads it and alerts me to the fact that I'm a genius and (b) that my words can safely dissolve into the ether, and I can rest.

I was going to gesso a large hand-built canvas this evening, but I lost my nerve... and forgot to buy a gesso brush. Important element of the gesso process.... otherwise you get those lines, the hard-edged paintbrush lines. Like painting on outdoor lattice.

Should I blog about George & Glenn's wedding portrait? Yes, probably. I am painting George & Glenn's wedding portrait, due in less than a month. It is going to be beautiful. We are sort of making it "together", as George purchased all materials for and helped build the canvas.

I will take it easy on this one... take time on the underpainting, not get nervous... research the colors, pay attention to over-application on the paint thickness. I will do great. There will be so many translucent, shimmering glazed colors, I will be stunned at my own genius.

And there is entry #1, just as good a first entry as I could have hoped for. Here's to many more.

--M

No comments: